Our roundup of excellent board game design links and tips this month includes a new Meaningful Decisions interview, "golden rules" of design, advice for making the most of the design process and more...
- Looking at turn order: deciding who goes first, variable turn order and more
- Gil Hova on incentivizing interesting behavior, looking at games as products, moving into self-publishing and more
- Designers share their “golden rules” of design
- "Play a TON of games. And very different games at that. More experience is just more tools to draw from." - Ben Pinchback
- “I think probably the best advice I have is work on distancing yourself from your project. Be willing to break it and re-form it and think of it as an object distant from yourself. Be willing to push, and bend, and break that thing, and be focused on creating the best experience for the gamers and understand that it’s something you’re making for them.” - Anne-Marie De Witt
- Mark Rosewater on what your priorities should be at each step of the creative process. Part 1, Part 2.
- "If a design isn’t working, kill it. It’s tough but for the best. Fail fast. Move on." - Ben Pinchback
Cardboard Edison is supported by our patrons on Patreon.
SENIOR INVENTORS: Steven Cole, John du Bois, Richard Durham, Matthew O’Malley, Isaias Vallejo
JUNIOR INVENTORS: Stephen B Davies, Luis Lara, Behrooz Shahriari, Aidan Short, Jay Treat
ASSOCIATES: Robert Booth, Doug Levandowski, Aaron Lim, Nathan Miller, Marcel Perro, Dan Sinensky
APPRENTICES: Gino Brancazio, Kevin Brusky, Keith Burgun, Kiva Fecteau, Scott Gottreu, JR Honeycutt, Brad Price, Marcus Ross, Diane Sauer