This month's roundup of great board game design links includes several new entries in our Meaningful Decisions interview series, advice for working with publishers, lessons from a first-time designer, and lots more.
- Meaningful Decisions: Jason Tagmire on Design Choices in Maximum Throwdown
- Guest Post: The Hidden Work of Game Design
- Meaningful Decisions: T.C. Petty III on Design Choices in VivaJava Dice
- Meaningful Decisions: Donald X. Vaccarino on Design Choices in Dominion
- Reasons why a publisher might reject a game even if it's very good
- Publishers answer the question: How do you decide what games you want to publish?
- “Don’t pitch a game to a publisher until you envision it on the store shelf as-is (design-wise), and are happy with that. Then also don’t be surprised or upset if a publisher wants to do some development changes.” - Seth Jaffee
- Lessons from a first-time designer: selecting ideas, delegating authority, defending without getting defensive, killing your darlings and setting deadlines
- Getting your indie tabletop game made: notes from PAX Australia
- Take-that games: When does this mechanism work and when does it fail?
- The Game Designers of North Carolina podcast on melding theme and mechanisms
- Advice for creating and running a board game design group
- “Playtesting is often that balance between ignoring both the worst criticism and the highest praise to hone in on the juicy middle.” - Dave Chalker
Cardboard Edison Omnibus is supported by our patrons on Patreon.
SENIOR INVENTORS: Steven Cole, John du Bois, Richard Durham, Matthew O’Malley, Isaias Vallejo
JUNIOR INVENTORS: Stephen B Davies, Luis Lara, Behrooz Shahriari, Aidan Short, Jay Treat
ASSOCIATES: Robert Booth, Doug Levandowski, Aaron Lim, Nathan Miller, Marcel Perro
APPRENTICES: Kevin Brusky, Kiva Fecteau, Scott Gottreu, JR Honeycutt, Scott Martel Jr., Marcus Ross, Diane Sauer