This month's roundup of useful board game design links features interviews with masters of the social deduction and legacy game genres, notes for writing better rulebooks, lots of advice for working with publishers, and more.
- Don Eskridge, designer of The Resistance, on creating a social deduction game (audio)
- A discussion of the challenges and opportunities presented by the legacy game format (video)
- “It’s not inherently a problem if your game involving doing the same thing each turn. It’s only a problem if it doesn’t feel different as the game progresses. You can accomplish this in a few ways; the two most common are escalation and a changing game state.” - Peter C. Hayward
- Three podcasts discuss what to expect when working with a publisher: Building the Game, Board Game Design Lab, The Game Crafter Official Podcast
- A good problem to have: What to do when multiple publishers are interested in your game (audio)
Cardboard Edison is supported by our patrons on Patreon.
ADVISERS: 421 Creations, Peter C. Hayward, Kris Rees, Aaron Vanderbeek
SENIOR INVENTORS: Steven Cole, John du Bois, Chris and Kathy Keane (The Drs. Keane), Joshua J. Mills, Marcel Perro, Behrooz Shahriari, Shoot Again Games
JUNIOR INVENTORS: Ryan Abrams, Joshua Buergel, Luis Lara, Aidan Short, Jay Treat
ASSOCIATES: Stephen B Davies, Scot Duvall, Samuel Lees, Doug Levandowski, Nathan Miller, Tony Miller, Neil Roberts, Mike Sette, Kasper Esven Skovgaard, Isaias Vallejo, Matt Wolfe
APPRENTICES: Darren Broad, Cardboard Fortress Games, Kiva Fecteau, Guz Forster, Scott Gottreu, Aaron Lim, Scott Martel Jr., James Meyers, Debbie Moynihan, The Nerd Nighters, Matthew Nguyen, Marcus Ross, VickieGames, Lock Watson