This month's roundup of great board game design links and quotes includes ways to encourage innovation in your design work, wide-ranging videos on board game design, a new resource for when you need specific kinds of help, and more.
- Board game design sessions from GDC 2018 (video)
- How "design patterns" can be used to guide a game toward the experience you want (audio)
- Triangular scoring and its uses in game designs
- How to use arcs in a board game design
- Advice for designing cooperative games from fans of the genre and from a skeptic of it (audio)
- A list of goals you might have in mind for any given playtest
- “Playtesting is the lifeblood of game design. No matter how experienced you are, you must feel the fun.” - Reiner Knizia
Cardboard Edison is supported by our patrons on Patreon.
ADVISERS: 421 Creations, Black Letter Games, Peter C. Hayward, Aaron Vanderbeek
SENIOR INVENTORS: Steven Cole, John du Bois, Chris and Kathy Keane (The Drs. Keane), Joshua J. Mills, Marcel Perro, Behrooz Shahriari, Shoot Again Games
JUNIOR INVENTORS: Ryan Abrams, Joshua Buergel, Luis Lara, Aidan Short, Jay Treat
ASSOCIATES: Stephen B Davies, Marcus Howell, Samuel Lees, Doug Levandowski, Nathan Miller, Neil Roberts, Mike Sette, Matt Wolfe
APPRENTICES: Cardboard Fortress Games, Kiva Fecteau, Guz Forster, Scott Gottreu, Aaron Lim, Scott Martel Jr., James Meyers, Tony Miller, The Nerd Nighters, Matthew Nguyen, Marcus Ross, VickieGames, Lock Watson, White Wizard Games